There are various types of filtration systems available on the market, and it may be challenging to choose the best one. Ceramic filters are old yet popular filters for home use, thanks to their effective operations and cost-effectiveness. The half-micron sized pores on the ceramic candles eliminate impurities from water like bacteria, dirt, and debris.
These can be used in different water filtration systems like countertop water filters, under-sink filters, portable filters (gravity water filters), or more – especially those that feature reverse osmosis functions. Its usage in refrigerator water dispensers is also quite common. Ceramic water filter systems are easy to install. These ceramic candles/cartridges are made of activated carbon and contain silver ions that help remove chemical and living organism contaminants.
If you want to prioritize your health and well-being, here are the five best ceramic water filters on the market that provide clean drinking water.
How To Choose the Best Ceramic Water Filter
Before you decide which is the right ceramic water filter for your needs, here are some things to consider before making a choice.
Type of Ceramic Water Filter
A ceramic water filter should be purchased in accordance with the space you have in your kitchen. For example, countertop water filters sit on your kitchen counter. Additionally, there are two types of countertop water filters – a gravity filter or a built-in dedicated faucet filter that has a hose that attaches to your existing faucet.
There is also an under-sink type that is mounted under your sink, as the name implies. Other types are portable and pot-type ceramic water filters. Each type requires a specific kind of ceramic cartridge, so check the suitability of the filter and buy accordingly.
Ceramic candles come in varying capacities. Opt for enhanced capacity to effectively remove any harmful bacteria and deliver safe and clean water. Filter capacity depends on your everyday water consumption and water supply, so check your family’s needs and then decide on the water holding capacity of your ceramic water filter.
For example, a portable backpacking water filter can carry a small amount, so candles that have a small filter capacity are best. Otherwise, if you have a countertop system with 8-10 liters capacity, search for a high-capacity cartridge. Don’t forget to test the product and its ability to trap the contaminants.
Durability is an important factor for every consumer product. Check the warranty and built-in material before purchasing any product. With regards to ceramic water filters and cartridges, the brand’s ceramic and other materials should be carefully reviewed. This material is prone to cracks and requires careful handling.
Products with complex usage should be avoided. The operations, cleaning, and maintenance are determining factors. A water filter is an important kitchen tool and shouldn’t be troublesome to use and maintain. Go for ceramic water filters that are easy to use and clean since they have a lesser maintenance cost. All types of filter cartridges need to be replaced from time to time so check their lifespan.
Budget and Price Plus Installation Cost
Invest in a good product while staying in a price range within your budget. Look for an affordable range of ceramic water filters and then make a prudent purchase. Besides the price of the ceramic water filter, there may be installation costs as well.
Some ceramic candles need professional replacement services while others are easy to install yourself. It is advisable to buy water filter systems that don’t require expensive filter cartridge replacement. To sum it up, calculate the operational cost of the machine irrespective of its type.
1. Replacement Ceramic Dome Water Filter
RONAQUA strives to meet their vision statement: “Pure water in every drop.” This RONAQUA dome-shaped model is among the best value for your money when it comes to ceramic filter cartridges. It replaces both countertop and water cooler models for ZEN and many other water filtration systems.
The product removes impurities such as aluminum, lead, arsenic 5, and iron, leaving behind pure drinking water. Plus, the candle effortlessly eliminates volatile organic materials and harmful chemicals.
A standout feature of this dome-shaped ceramic filter cartridge is its 0.2 to 0.5-micron pore size. This means that it can filter particles even larger than 0.3 microns from the water source. Its ability to add to the taste and odor of water is excellent.
The dome filter is sleekly designed with low-cost technology and is lightweight. The filter is also easy to install. The long life span (a whole year or up to 1000 gallons, whichever is earlier) makes it popular amongst households, especially in rural areas. A decent flow rate provides a constant supply of hygienic water to the whole family.
In addition to the above, this model uses a silver-impregnated ceramic filtration system that can kill bacteria and other microorganisms from your drinking water.
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 4 inches
- Filter material: Highly compressed ceramic with diatomic properties
- Micron rating: 0.2 to 0.5 micron
- CE certification
- Filtration life: Up to 1 year
- Filter capacity: 1 gallon of water every 1.5 hours
- Other filtering media: Silver-Impregnated
- Fits across all well-known counter-top water filtration systems
- Easily removes impurities and traps dirt and sediments
- Washable and budget-friendly cartridge
- Sleek dome design
- Easy to install
- The candle doesn’t contain carbon
- Can’t be used for small containers
2. Doulton UltraCarb Ceramic Filter Candle
Doulton has already established itself as a top brand in the water filtration segment. This Doulton UltraCarb Ceramic Filter Candle is infused with silver that inoculates antibacterial properties to your drinking water and removes any pathogens and organic chemicals found in it.
Secondly, the Doulton patented microfilter candle removes impurities such as hydrogen sulfide, pathogenic bacteria, and lead. Its ability to self-sterilize and remove solid particles sized 0.5-0.8 micron lends freshness and an enhanced taste to clean water.
Though the filter has a modest capacity of 600 gallons, the flow rate is incredibly high. Plus, it can be easily cleaned and has reusable properties for an extended service life. This factor subset its expensive price tag. It’s a perfect choice if you’re looking to replace an existing candle as it guarantees safe water for personal use.
The company recommends regular cleaning of filters under running water and consecutive gentle scrubbing. The candle is compatible with water filter systems of brands like Imperial, Royal, and Crown Berkey.
- Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 10 inches
- Product type: Under-sink
- Filter material: Sterasyl ceramic outer shell
- Micron rating: 0.5 to 0.8 micron
- Certification: NSF, ADA
- Filtration life: 6 months
- Filter capacity: 600 Gallons of water
- Other filtering media: Carbon block core with ion exchange resin
- Weight: 0.8 pounds
- The filter candle is cleanable & reusable
- Removes pathogenic bacteria and can self-sterilize
- Incredible water supply
- Durable construction
- Easy maintenance
- Turnaround time is less compared to other models
3. Aquaboon (A) CE-S Water Filter
Aquaboon is a South Korean brand working towards delivering sound quality water filtration systems at affordable rates. The Aquaboon CE-S dome-shaped ceramic candle is the right choice for a house that uses a portable ZEN filtering system.
The cartridge traps most impurities and provides clean water. The filter diameter is small enough to trap any particles above a diameter of more than 200 nanometers. This property makes the candle capable of removing pathogenic bacteria that are usually sized between 500 and 1000 nanometres in diameter. Thus, the filter averts any waterborne diseases by filtering nasty particles and odors.
It’s a solidly designed product with six months of replacement life. The installation is relatively straightforward. The only concern is its limited compatibility – it goes well only with ZEN water coolers and countertop water filter systems.
- Dimensions: 4.5 x 4 x 4 inches
- Filter material: Ceramic
- Micron rating: 0.2 micron
- Certification: CE
- Filtration life: 6 months
- Filter capacity: 1000 gallons of water
- Other filtering media: None
- Weight: 0.4 pounds
- Sturdy build
- Affordable product
- Removes most impurities
- Provides safe drinking water
- Resistant to high temperatures
- Limited compatibility
4. AquaCera CeraGrav LP-5 Replacement Ceramic Candle Filter
Manufactured by a USA-based Ceramic Filters Company, Aquacera gravity filters and their components are mainly made of ceramic that effectively removes waterborne contaminants.
Delivering exceptional filtration results, the filter lasts a lifetime. The filtration function effectively gets rid of dirt, chlorine, debris, and even bad taste or odor. Aquacera ceramic candles have a flow rate of half a gallon per hour.
The filter’s pores can capture most contaminants down to 0.5 microns in size. The addition of activated carbon coal further removes any remaining pathogenic impurities, hence the output is nearly perfect drinking water. Also, the filter with silver-impregnation can be cleaned up to 100 times, giving it an exceptional life span.
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 4.8 x 7.3 inches
- Filter material: Ceramic with carbon interior
- Micron rating: 0.9 micron absolute
- Certification: N/A
- Filtration life: Can be cleaned up to 100 times
- Filter capacity: 600 gallons per candle
- Other filtering media: Silver-impregnated
- Weight: 1.36 pounds
- Affordable price
- Extra efficacy in removing all kinds of impurities
- Compatible with all gravity filter systems like Doulton, Berkefeld, and AquaCera
- Durable product
- Some users countered dripping problems
5. HOMY Ceramic Water Filter Faucet Cartridge
This is an excellent tap water kitchen faucet purifier cartridge from the Chinese brand Homy. Built with advanced Activated Carbon Fiber (ACF) filtration technology, the filter provides an 8-layer filtration process. It effectively removes bad taste, chlorine, debris particles, bacteria, and more. The product has a high virus resistance capacity with a 99.9% rejection rate for all kinds of bacteria.
The ceramic candle can be rejuvenated after a thorough cleaning. The cartridge delivers decent performance with an average filter capacity of about 260 to 360 gallons and a life span of three to six months. This is ideal for everyday drinking water and is a great alternative to other expensive replacement cartridges.
- Dimensions: 5.7 x 4.1 x 2.9 inches
- Filter material: ABS + Ceramic
- Micron rating: 0.1 micron
- 8-layer filtration
- Weight: 0.4 pounds
- Filtration life: 3-6 months
- Filter capacity: 260-320 gallons
- Other filtering media: Activated carbon fiber (ACF) filtration technology
- Unique 8-layer filtration
- Improves taste and removes dirt, sand, rust, etc.
- Easy to install
- Can withstand high temperature
- Affordable product
- Some quality issues have been reported
The best ceramic water filter helps remove pesticides, harmful chemicals, and chlorine to make tap water potable. To summarize:
- If you want a ceramic cartridge with an excellent filter capacity, choose the third option from the list.
- If you are someone who wants a replaceable cartridge that fits most types of countertop water filters, then opt for a ceramic dome water filter by RONAQUA.
- The third and the fifth option should suit you well if weight is of concern.
- If you are searching for a ceramic filter candle that has a good micron rating and additional filter media on the surface, go for the second option.
Ceramic is an ideal choice for water filters if you’re aiming for a healthy lifestyle in the easiest and most affordable way and want to avoid the adverse effects of unpurified water. We hope we could help you zero in on the best ceramic water filter for water purification. For more reviews, keep browsing through myceramiccookware.com.